
Working from my home office afforded me the chance to see what it would be like to work alone. Well, not really alone. Dakota was always there to keep me company. She's adept at finding the warmest and sunniest window to sit next to and invite me to join her. Sort of like a coffee break but not nearly as acidic.
I found that when I did sit with her (actually, she mostly sat with me) my work was more productive. I can recall my boss asking me why I wasn't panicking over a perfectly panickable crisis. Dakota wasn't panicking. In fact, I think she was sleeping. I thought, hmmm, she might be on to something.
Not that I'm lazy, don't get me wrong.
Three years in the planning, I got my game together, resigned, and started two companies (and bought my dream house and had a baby). It's worth noting that I really enjoyed my career, but found it demanding and not particularly family-friendly.
I still keep my pieces of crystal and fancy awards in my living room, polished and presentable. I'm very proud of my career as an employee, but felt I needed to explore what it would be like to be my own employer.
Dakota is my counselor, mentor and guide to all things zen and catlike (isn't that really the same thing?) My father is an entrepreneur and he told me once long ago that I'd never be happy if I weren't working for myself. And, whenever I had a trying week, that's all I could think about.So, what do I do now? I manage my own advertising consulting business to keep my skills current and sharp and take freelance work as my schedule permits. I also work as a photographer and writer to exercise my creativity. I loved spending time with the creatives in advertising and many are still close friends. Thankfully, most were generous in their work to allow me to contribute, edit, rewrite and submit my ideas. I think that is why I found my work so rewarding. I needed that creative outlet.
And now I have that outlet full force. And it's great. Three years have passed since I've been working for myself and it's been one learning experience after the next. I have accomplished a lot and things are rolling. I have exciting news to share regarding recognition for my work and upcoming gallery shows -- be sure to check out my upcoming posts.
And, so it goes....
2 comments:
Good for you! It takes quite a bit of courage to step out on your own, especially with access to the comfy confines of corporate america (i.e. benefits, 401(k), lunch buddies).
Thanks for reading and providing your feedback. I appreciate it!
Post a Comment